To help you schedule your HR and Payroll software selection, so this 52-step checklist is divided into 7 sections.
- A. Selection Team
- B. Requirements Gathering
- C. System Specification
- D. Vendor Services
- E. Return On Investment (ROI) Forecast
- F. Vendor Shortlisting
- G. System Selection
A. SELECTION TEAM
When it comes to HR and Payroll software selection. Along with, the wrong team will almost always select the wrong system.
- To begin with, select an HR and Payroll software selection project lead
- Secondly, identify key stakeholders including operational HR staff, HR management, and employees outside of HR
- Then, randomly select a cross-section of stakeholders to form user groups
- Identify requirements for consulting expertise
- And so, Define scope and timeline for external consultancy resources
- Then next, develop selection consultant shortlist and gather references from previous projects for each
- Identify a C-Level executive sponsor for your project
B. REQUIREMENTS GATHERING.
Your HR and Payroll software requirements supply cartographic guidance for your selection; thus, mapping existing challenges and future goals.
- In the first place, Create a map of current HR processes to identify bottlenecks inefficiency
- Then, identify paper-based HR process and shortcomings of existing HR systems
- Identify key operational challenges you aim to solve with the new HR and Payroll software
- And so, Estimate HR staff time currently dedicated to these operational challenges
- Consequently, Gather requirements from across the HR department
- Document role-based access for each requirement
- Then, prioritize requirements and provide a brief overview of the motivation behind priority scores
- Lastly, Take final requirements to end-user groups to gather feedback
C. SYSTEM SPECIFICATION
Forget the bells and whistles. Whereas, the success of HR and Payroll software also comes down to core access and the platform choices.
- To begin with, Identify the total number of users who will require system access
- Secondly, Determine preferred delivery platform (cloud, on-premise, hybrid, etc.)
- Then next, Identify mobile access requirements (web-app, native iOS, native Android, etc.)
- Define ideal database structure (informed by regulatory requirements)
- Determine any language and currency requirements
- And then, Identify requirements for integration with existing systems
- Document existing hardware environment
- Finally, document the existing network environment
D. VENDOR SERVICES
Often forgotten at the requirements stage, especially vendor services can require a selection project in their own right.
- Firstly, Document requirements for support scope and delivery method (phone support, online support, etc.)
- Then next, document requirements for training scope and delivery method (classroom training, on-site training)
- Thirdly, Document requirements for implementation consultancy
- Document requirements for external project management
- And then, Identify critical data and reports in your legacy systems (begin with compliance requirements)
- Document data migration requirements for these critical data sets
- Lastly, Identify external requirements for the system and network maintenance
E. ROI FORECAST
No sign of subjectivity here. Apart from, either the investment in HR and Payroll software makes sense, or it doesn’t. Surely, the challenge is creating an accurate forecast for ROI.
- So to start with, Identify preferred payment methods (SaaS, perpetual license, etc.)
- And then, Define the timeframe for TCO and return calculations
- Forecast the value of each system requirement including time savings
- And also, Forecast costs for the new system
- Work with analysts and finance to produce final ROI forecast figures
- Compare ROI forecasts for the new HR and Payroll software. And also, with those of other prospective points of investment (HR-focused or otherwise)
- Finally, report on ROI forecasts to senior management and seek project approval
F. VENDOR SHORTLISTING
Now begins the true “selection” phase. So, are you ready to narrow down hundreds of solutions to a shortlist of HR and Payroll software?
- So first, research HR and Payroll software employed by similar companies (for example; scale, regulatory environment, etc.)
- And then, Identify HR and Payroll software solutions that meet your key requirements
- Thirdly, Identify point solutions that meet your key requirements
- Compile initial shortlist of vendors
- Produce an RFI document and send it to shortlisted vendors
- And then next, narrow shortlist based on RFI responses
- Compile requirements and business processes in an RFP document
- And the last, Narrow shortlist based on RFP responses to produce final shortlist.
G. SYSTEM SELECTION
You can see the finish line. Accordingly, there is a light at the end of the tunnel (or at the very least, a difficult decision).
- Firstly, Define the scope for your ideal software demonstration
- Then second, build selection teams to attend software demos including user group members
- Book demonstrations with each vendor on your final shortlist
- Seek at least two or three references from each prospective vendor
- Produce an RFQ document and send it to all vendors that were demoed
- Assemble selection committee to review all RFQ responses
- Lastly, make a final selection decision and proceed to contract negotiations.
Is your team already decided to take advantage of an HR and payroll technology tool? Therefore, EversunHR provides innovative end-to-end payroll solutions. The right payroll system could streamline your processes, likewise helps maintain a happy workforce. And then, avoid pesky violations of the law.
From digitized employee records, timekeeping data to payroll processing up to online payslip distribution. EversunHR gives you the means to catch up and surpass your competitors.